Karoline Leavitt is preparing to leave her position as White House press secretary at the end of August, bringing an end to her tenure as one of the most prominent public faces of the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump announced her departure on August 12, saying Leavitt was stepping away to spend more time with her young children and family. Leavitt, who recently returned from maternity leave after the birth of her second child, confirmed the decision herself and described it as a “bittersweet” choice.

In her statement, Leavitt said that balancing motherhood with the demanding responsibilities of the press secretary position had become increasingly difficult. She explained that she wanted to be more present for her two young children while beginning a new chapter in her life.
The decision comes after Leavitt spent the entirety of Trump’s second administration so far as his chief spokesperson. At 28, she became the youngest person ever to serve as White House press secretary.

Trump has praised Leavitt as a trusted member of his administration and said she would continue to have a role as an outside adviser and influential voice within the Republican Party.
Reports have also described the job as intensely demanding, particularly following her return from maternity leave. However, claims about private messages from Trump pleading with her to stay should be treated as reported allegations rather than established fact. I cannot independently confirm the details of those private communications.
Her departure is expected to create a closely watched search for the next White House press secretary, although the administration has indicated there is no immediate rush to name a permanent successor.